There’s nothing better than juicy watermelon on a hot summer day. To take this sweet fruit to the next level, Chef Larry has crafted a dish to hit all the right notes of sweet & savory in one delectable salad. This is the perfect light appetizer to begin a great meal with friends, or it even makes a nice light lunch or dinner by itself. Recipe below serves about 2 people as an appetizer, 1 person as a meal. Double or triple the ingredients to serve at a Summer cookout!
- fresh watermelon (look for a yellow spot to indicate sunshiny sweetness)
- fresh watercress (or other favorite salad green)
- peeled & sliced cucumbers
- pickled red onion (soak in vinegar and sugar for around 1 hr)
- fresh feta cheese
- assorted sliced radish (pictured below are traditional & watermelon radish)
- small bunch of micro basil
- 2 oz. your favorite balsamic vinaigrette (we use simple EVOO, Balsamic vin, salt & pepper)
Slice a small to medium size watermelon in half. Grab a melon baller to scoop out perfectly portioned melon balls. Add watermelon balls to mixing bowl, along with desired amount of pickled red onion, cucumber & radish & toss in balamic vinaigrette. Plate the melon mixture. In a separate bowl, toss greens & basil with a drizzle of EVOO. Top the melon mixture with your greens and desired amount of crumbly feta. We suggest buying a block of feta cheese & crumbling it yourself to achieve the best creamy texture.